Books and other circulating items can be requested through URSUS, the University of Maine System online catalog.
Please follow the procedures outlined below in order to obtain items available in the URSUS online catalog. Remember that a valid University of Maine system library card is required to request material. Please contact us if you have any questions.
1. From the Off-Campus Library Services homepage, click on URSUS, the online library catalog.
2. Search by title, author, keyword, subject, etc.
3. When you find a book or document title you want to request, click on the "REQUEST" button.
4. Enter your name and barcode number in the boxes, as prompted. In the campus/center/site location box select "OOS," (for Out-of-State) and click on the "Submit above information" button.
5. Once your request has been properly submitted, you will receive the following message on the screen: "Your request has been successful"; you can now return to the list of other citations, or you can "START OVER" at the main menu.
The book(s) will be checked out to you and mailed to your home address. The loan period will be for four weeks, with an additional two-week renewal available upon request.
1. View your Record. Enter your name and barcode number in the spaces provided, and then click the Display Record button.
2. Click the link that shows how many items you have checked out.
3. You may click the Renew All button, or check the box next to individual titles and then click Renew Selected Items.
You should check to see that the item was actually renewed, with a new due date. Sometimes an item cannot be renewed because it is overdue, another person has requested it, or it has been renewed too many times. If an item cannot be renewed, it should be returned to the library.
Return books requested through URSUS on or before the due date using United Parcel Service (UPS), Federal Express, US Postal Service’s 2nd Day Air, or a similar track able, insured mail carrier. Please ship books directly to the lending library in a well-sealed padded envelope or padded box. Keep your receipts in case books do not make it back to the lending library. You will be billed for overdue books and non-return of library items and your borrowing privileges will be blocked. Your shipping receipts will be your only evidence of return if books are lost in the mail or do not arrive back on time.
Need Help? Ask a Librarian